I thought I'd make a sugar skull inspired piece, for the Mexican festival Dia de los Muertos, I used a piece of heavy interfacing and drew a rough outline with pencil. The eyes are enhanced with a permanent marker in the grooves. I was spontaneous in the choice of beads and decided not to make this symmetrical, although as a skull has its own symmetry there was a limit.
I finished it as a hair accessory using a bought slide (barrette) which I glued and stitched to the ultrasuede backing. This was then glued to the embroidery, and trimmed. The edge was finished with brick stitch in size 8 seed beads. By attaching the barrette first, I think I get a firmer result.